Iron or Rust Stains and Rotten Egg Smell In Your Water
Let’s face it, if your home’s water smells like rotten eggs (or any other distasteful odor) or leaving behind rust stains it can be unpleasant to do everyday tasks like shower or brush your teeth. Fortunately, your Charlotte Culligan Man® is eager to help you tackle even the toughest problem water. With over 75 years of industry experience and 30 years in the region, Culligan is the area’s water expert and understands the problems facing your community’s water.
As water makes its way from its source to your faucets, it can be exposed to a number of contaminants*. These can come from the miles of underground pipes that municipal water travels through or geological conditions that ground water passes through. No matter what your water has been exposed to, Culligan has the equipment and experience necessary to find a solution that’s perfect for your water. A few of the more common water odor problems are:
- Rotten egg odor (hydrogen sulfide) can occur naturally or be caused by dissolved iron content in water
- Musty, earthy or wood smell can be caused by dissolved organic solids
- Chlorine smell can be caused by municipal additives
- Detergent odor or water that foams can be due to seepage from septic tanks into your well's ground water
- Chemical smells and tastes can be due to chemicals seeping into your water supply, such as industrial chemicals, herbicides, or pesticides
High Iron Content
If you have red or brown deposits in your sinks or drains then you most likely have a high concentration of iron in your water. This can come from your ground water supply (well), from the miles of pipes used in municipal distribution systems, or older plumbing in homes and buildings. An excessive level of iron is a common problem and the second most prominent behind hard water. Culligan has a wealth of experience in dealing with high iron content water in our region. Watch out for these signs, as they are common indicators of too much iron in your home’s water:
- Reddish or red-brown stains on your laundry, plumbing fixtures and cooking utensils
- Yellow or orange-colored water
- Metallic taste to your water
Remember, the only way to be sure of what’s in your water is to have it tested, and Culligan offers everyone a FREE WATER TEST. We will send your Charlotte Culligan Man out to your home to test your water. Just click here to see more details about our free water test.
Whether that means ridding your home of water that smells like rotten eggs or removing stain-causing iron from your sinks, Culligan has the tools and experience to take care of your home’s water needs. To be contacted by your local, Charlotte Culligan Man just fill out the form above or pick up the phone and call (704) 980-7582.
*contaminants may not be in your water